This past weekend was
General Conference for the
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It occurs twice a year and is a chance for us to hear from our prophet and other leaders--to be uplifted, inspired, counseled, and reminded of what is important.
Because of the semi-annual aspect of General Conference, the April conference always feels like a new beginning: like spring, like a new chance, like a new life. This past weekend was no different.
 |
| These flowering bushes are just right in our backyard! |
Since we were able to watch the sessions on TV, conference was a semi-casual affair. We gathered in the living room, snuggled into our chairs, and listened to the music and the words. On Sunday, Patrick's aunt, uncle, and cousins came over. I love that feeling of gathering together with family for something like this. It feels comfortable--a light lunch of sandwiches, chips, and pasta salad, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing, casual commentary between the talks ("Oh, I liked that one." "I wonder when so-and-so will speak?" "I need to get up and stretch." "Cambrie! Please don't eat that book!").
 |
| Patrick being studious before the Sunday morning session. |
 |
| Patrick's cousin playing with Cambrie during a hymn. |
 |
| A drawing Patrick's cousin made of Cambrie. I love how accurate it is--ball in hand, crazy hair/pigtails. |
Between the sessions, we took advantage of the beautiful day on Patrick's grandparents' screened porch.
 |
| Hammocks are so much fun! |
This spring's conference was, in truth, a little more hectic than previous conferences, but that is to be expected, I think, with a 20 month old (one who is currently a little miserable with a cold). What was the same was the sense of peace and happiness; though my family and I are far from perfect and though I am constantly learning things I need to change and improve (especially during General Conference), I feel very blessed to 1) know who I am, 2) know why I am here, 3) know where I am going, and 4) know what is important along the way. I know not everyone has found those answers yet (though if you're curious,
check this site out), and I feel so grateful to have this knowledge as part of my life.
C. S. Lewis said, "Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and, if true, of infinite importance. The one thing it cannot be is moderately important."
Being able to listen to General Conference twice a year is a good reminder of that for me. All in all, it was a good weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment